GoSporty

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

700 was pretty special says Warney


Shane Warne created history on the first day of the Boxing Day Test when he bowled Andrew Strauss to claim his 700th Test wicket.

Warne went on to take four more wickets for his 37th five-wicket haul in Tests.

At the end of Day I of the fourth Test against England, Warne has 704 Test wickets in his bag.

And the veteran leggie, playing his last Test in front of his home crowd in Melbourne Cricket Ground, was understandably over the moon after his unique feat.

Warne said that he did not expect to take five wickets as the pitch and the conditions were perfect for the pacers.

"I was not in any hurry to bowl the way the wicket was playing. It was seaming around a fair bit and the ideal conditions kept the moisture in there. It was nipping around for the quickies. So I was not hoping to take five, six or seven wickets. If I had got a couple of overs to bowl at the tail it would have been very nice but the way it turned out and whoever writes my script is doing an unbelievable job. So keep doing the job," Warne said.

He also said that he had already thought how he would get to his 700th Test wicket.

"McGrath said to me how are you going to get him out and I said I will bowl him through the gates sweeping and he said right. I bowled him through the gates but he was not sweeping but driving," the leg spinner said.

"I tried to slow up the pace. When that sort of thing happens you know something is going right for you. But then I was going to keep running but then stopped. It was just pretty special," he said when asked about how he felt after reaching the milestone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home